Thursday, July 2, 2009

June 29th, 2009 the First Silent Walk


We were a small group of old and new friends.


We walked in silence to the view and back. Before leaving, each walker wrote about the experience. They could write just a few words if they wanted. These comments follow.



Just looking, listening and feeling the wind. Trying not to let my mind wander.


Group dynamic, rhythm of footsteps, light, wind, bugs.


Tuning into a earth without gadgets.


Humid, buggy, dark blue sky, one bird, 100 shades of green.


Thoughts and no thoughts, low sunlight, dog, same twig.



Interesting experience. Not what I expected exactly. I expected to be more aware of my surroundings, which I was, but I also became acutely aware of the movements and body language of the individuals in the group - the rhythms and sounds of their walking. We relied on our visual cues to stay together. I sometimes felt like I was passing through the space unseen. At moments I felt like a tracker. There were a lot of gnats that normally I would have complained about. It was nice not to complain or listen to others complain. It was a beautifully lit evening with dramatic clouds. Looking forward to the next hike.







When we returned, we shared how it felt. One person had tried to see the Hudson River without any buildings to get an idea of how it might have looked when Henry Hudson first sailed it. What would the ship have looked like to a native standing here? Another person said it was hard not to think about work. She had to make an effort to "be here now." Another walker found great comfort in being released from the burden of small talk. Personally, not talking felt very unnatural to me at first. It was hard! By the end, though, I was remembering times when I had wished for silence when in loud company. I was thankful I hadn't ruined anyone's walk with silly, obvious observations. We regrouped at 2Alice's for the reception and further discussion.



2 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there. The landscape of this area is so fabled and celebrated in both visual and literary arts that it cries out for a new way of seeing and experiencing its beauty. This is such an original contribution to that tradition.
    Nancy McCallum
    NorthCarolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting project, Jackie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete